We’ve been promising a BIG ANNOUNCEMENT and here it is!
The past year and a half have been a time of incredible growth for KatieMade. When we moved into the bakery at the back of Homegrown Food (now Rountree Grocers) at 607 S Pickwick in April of 2014, we never could have foreseen the new and exciting directions our business would take. Homegrown Food has done a bang-up job selling our products for us in that time, and we’ll always be grateful to them for their support and friendship. We have to be honest, though, we miss all of your faces. It’s time to start taking our products directly to you people.
To that end…
At the beginning of February, we are opening our own micro-retail space in our current bakery at the back of 607 S Pickwick. You’ll be able to follow a nice brick path around the side of the building to our door, and inside, something very special will await you.
We’re excited to welcome A.J. Watson & Sons Meats, a wonderful craft butcher, to collaborate with us in creating Butcher + Baker, a place where you’ll be able to purchase all of the KatieMade products you know and love (plus a slew of delectable things you don’t know you want yet), along with the finest hand-cut meats, artisan sausages, stocks and bone broths, and more.
You’ll be able to purchase both meats and baked goods at any time of day, but here’s the rhythm of what you can expect to be baked fresh when:
- We’ll be opening earlier – 7am – so that you can stop by and pick up a made-from-scratch sausage roll, a vegetable omelet pastry, or a ham & cheese puff for breakfast. Or, if you prefer something sweet, we’ll have cinnamon rolls first thing, and an assortment of croissants a little later.
- As the morning goes on, fresh bread will start coming out of the oven. We’ll have a handful of daily breads, plus a rotating assortment of specialty breads for you to enjoy. We’re excited for you to taste our amazing baguettes just minutes out of the oven.
- Around 11, we’ll start putting out our soon-to-be-famous lunch pastries. Try a pulled pork bun, with sweet yeasty dough enrobing house-smoked Berkshire pork and a sweet, spicy pickle. Or perhaps you’d enjoy either bratwurst or ham and cheese inside our famous Bavarian Pretzel dough. Or (and this is our favorite) caraway-rye puff pastry filled with corned beef, swiss cheese, sauerkraut, and Thousand Island dressing to make a Reuben that’s out of this world.
- Of course, we’ll still have all of your favorites treats throughout the day, like our Best In 417 pretzel balls, chocolate chip cookies, coconut macaroons, chocolate covered graham crackers, financiers and caneles, marshmallows, and many others. We’ll also be adding some refrigerated pastries, like cream puffs and eclairs to the rotation. And don’t fear, you will be able to purchase our Pickwick & Cherry line of jams, jellies and more, and our Glass Jar Granola too.
- In the late afternoons and evenings, after a thorough scrub-down, the butcher side will take over, hand-cutting meats to your specifications, making a wide variety of sausages, smoking meats, making stock, and more.
One of the things we’re most excited about is the fact that you’ll be coming right into the bakery/butcher shop to make your purchases. You’ll get to watch us make breads, croissants, cookies and more — you’ll even get to see how the sausage is made!
We’ve still got some work to do in terms of construction and inspections before we can get started, but we’re hoping to open Butcher + Baker the first week of February. Please LIKE Butcher + Baker on Facebook so that you can keep abreast of all of our progress, and be in line on opening day. And, help us get the word out by passing this along to your friends.
We’re so grateful for your support that has brought us this far, and we’re excited for you to join us on this next adventure.
Butcher + Baker is coming soon! Get hungry!